Wednesday, October 10, 2007

settling in

So now that sukkot break is over everyone seems to be settling into life here in the mercaz. Volunteer options are finally opening up now that the chagim (holidays) are over. However, that being said atidim (this program most of us signed for, working with teens in the area teaching them English, so that they have a chance to get into university), has been postponed potentially indefinitely (at least while we are here) because currently middle and high school teachers are all on strike throughout the country, demanding more funding. In the meantime we are all having to come up with other ways to keep ourselves busy. Why just this very afternoon some of us trekked on over the the senior citizen home at the end of the mercaz to see what they had to offer there. Not surprisingly their instructions were less than comprehensive, as a matter of fact every single thing I've been told in this country has been less than comprehensive. Its quite different than what we have all been used to coming from a country where there are printed outlines, rules and regulations for every single thing you might possibly want to do, and here they don't even tell you what they need help with its just kind of a guessing game.

other musings from around town...one our apartment smells absolutely wretched, perhaps something akin to burned red and white beans. You might be saying Anne that sounds very specific, well that would be because last night the fire alarm got set off in the mercaz because red and white beans were burning on our stove. NBD (no big deal) now all of my clothing and my cowboy sheets make me want to vomit a little, again NBD. Yesterday we started past tense in Hebrew classes, apparently this means we are now at a second semester equivalent level - on day 11. I also finally learned block Hebrew which apparently is necessary, whatevers! One other thing is these damned door handles, I'm not sure who designed these but I'm really at a loss for what they were thinking. They are basically titanium daggers that jut outwards. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My arms look like Ive had a serious intravenous heroin problem for quite some years after all the beatings they've taken just trying to walk into my room. Its real cute (you can quote me on that) For a long time I thought I was the only one too, so it was kind of embarrassing, aval (but) everyday someone else nonchalantly brings it up in conversation trying to see if its happened to other people. You'd think we would all learn to avoid ramming into door handles, apparently that's beyond us (I'm certainly not surprised with myself, I tend to run into a lot of things). Well we've got an educational evening planned with Jared, the funky educator. Tonight we are going to be learning about diaspora Jews, LIKE ME, it's optional but I'm choosing to go because I care, gam (also) I can't stand the smell of my own room and I would gladly go do anything else.

A PE W. G-P

No comments:

Post a Comment